Chewy Oat Apple Brownies
This has to be the best non-chocolate "brownie" I've ever tasted! You might not think of oatmeal or apples as brownie material, but when you taste these, you'll want to make them every week. They are so good!
Cooking Time1 hr
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) canola or corn-oil margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg plus 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup uncooked rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium baking apples, peeled, cored, chopped
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped, toasted
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray a 9-inch baking pan with a non-stick vegetable coating; set aside.
- Beat together margarine, applesauce, sugar, egg mixture and 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla in large bowl of electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Combine flour, oats, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a separate, medium mixing bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to egg mixture and mix just until combined.
- Stir in apples and nuts and spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Blend confectioners' sugar, water, and the 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla until smooth.
- Spread or drizzle over cooled brownies.