Winter Beef Stew
Perfect for a cold winter day, this beef stew recipe will warm you right up. Serve it with crusty french bread, a hearty red wine and a green salad, and you have the perfect meal.
If you liked this beef stew recipe, you'll love our collection of 17 scrumptious beef stew recipes! Click here to get the whole collection.
Cooking Time2 hr
- 2 pounds stewing beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, diced into 1/4-inch square pices
- 2 cans beef stock
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasonings
- 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons ketchup or tomato paste
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot, and brown the beef on all sides.
- Add the flour, and stir to coat.
- Add a few tablespoons of the beef stock, and add onion and garlic.
- Sauté until the onion begins to soften.
- Add the remaining stock, tomatoes, red wine, salt amd pepper, and parsley.
- Cover and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours, adding more liquid if necessary.
- Add carrots, potatoes and ketchup or tomato paste, and simmer an additional 15-30 minutes (until carrots and potatoes are to desired doneness).