Polenta Beef Stew
Change up to traditional beef stew by using polenta as a side-dish. The polenta and red wine sauce go perfectly together.
If you liked this beef stew recipe, you'll love our collection of 17 scrumptious beef stew recipes! Click here to get the whole collection.
Preparation Time20 min
Cooking Time1 hr 30 min
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 can (14.5-ounce) can beef broth
- 1 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 8 ounces boiling onions
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 recipe Polenta (see recipe below)
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- In a medium bowl stir together, flour, garlic powder, thyme, basil, salt, and pepper. Coat meat with flour mixture.
- In a Dutch oven, brown half the meat in hot oil over medium-high heat. Remove from Dutch oven. Repeat with remaining meat.
- Return all meat to pan. Add chopped onion, garlic, and rosemary. Cook and stir until onion is tender but not brown.
- Add broth and wine. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Add boiling onions and carrots. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes more or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare Polenta. Just before serving, stir parsley and tomato paste into beef stew. Serve in bowls with polenta. Garnish with flat-leaf parsley, if desired.
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon. salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large saucepan bring milk just to simmer.
- In bowl combine cornmeal, water, and salt. Stir cornmeal mixture slowly into hot milk. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Cook 10 to 15 minutes or until mixture is thick, stirring occasionally. If too thick, stir in additional milk.
- Stir in butter until melted. Transfer to serving dish. Ladle beef stew on top.