Italian Roast Beef
Make a succulent roast beef bursting with Italian flavor. This simple recipe uses basil, tomatoes, onion, garlic and red wine.
The better the wine, the better the roast. Reduce the cooking liquid at the end and serve over polenta-wonderful!
Cooking Time4 hr
- 4 pounds beef roast
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons basil, dried or 1/2 cup fresh
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large can Italian tomatoes with basil or one pack dried tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 750 ml bottle Italian red wine
- Cut several slits in the roast and insert pieces of garlic and onions into the slits.
- In a large, covered pot (such as a Dutch oven), brown roast over medium-high heat.
- Add all remaining ingredients to pot, along with enough water to cover.
- Cook 3-4 hours until tender, covered over low heat.
- Reduce sauce to two cups.
Read NextGrandma's Goulash