Nothing goes together better than a beer with a burger, and if you want to know how to make good hamburgers, all you have to to is follow this recipe. There's beer in the burgers, beer in the onions, and beer in the ketchup. Fantastic!
Cooking Time18 min
- 1 1/2 pound ground chuck
- 2 tablespoons beer
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 (1/2-ounce) slices brick cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- sliced tomato and lettuce leaves for garnish, optional
- beer-braised onions (recipe below)
- mushroom-beer ketchup (recipe below)
- Combine the ground chuck, beer, hot red pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Form into four 6-ounce, 1-inch thick burgers.
- Cover the burgers with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to several hours.
- Grill the burgers over a medium grill or charcoal fire.
- Cook to the desired doneness: 3 to 4 minutes on each side for rare, 5 to 6 minutes on each side for medium, and 8 to 9 minutes on each side for well done.
- Top each burger with some of the beer-braised onions (recipe below) and a slice of cheese and allow it to melt.
- Toast the buns, cut side down, on the grill or in a non-stick skillet until golden brown, about 1 minute.
- Serve the burgers on the toasted buns with lettuce and tomato, with the mushroom-beer ketchup (recipe below) on the side.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup beer
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Melt butter in a 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add 3/4 cup of beer, sugar and salt. Cook until all beer has been absorbed by onions and they begin to brown, 16 to 18 minutes.
- Stir in the 1/4 cup beer and heat to a simmer. Serve hot.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 pound sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup beer
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Melt butter in 3-quart saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms and cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in beer, ketchup, vinegar, sugar, and salt.
- Pureé in blender if desired. Return to saucepan and simmer until thickened, about 12 minutes.