Southern Style Black Eyed Peas
Why save the Southern Style Black Eyed Peas for New Years? They actually make the perfect Fall weather food, and are a wonderful and healthier alternative to chili during tailgates. Plus for budget meal plans it's perfect.
- 1 pound bag of black eyed peas, soaked overnight and drained
- 7 ounces turkey kielbasa, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chicken boullion cubes
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- hot sauce to taste
- 3 water (more, if needed)
- Heat oil in large pot. Saute celery, onion, and garlic until almost tender. Add green pepper. Saute until tender but not brown.
- Add other ingredients and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 hour until done.
Read NextHoppin' John