Baked Chile Cheese Spread
Spice up the party with this bold appetizer recipe. Made with eggs, green chiles, salsa and a layer of your your favorite, cheese, this sensational spread will have you coming back for more. You're not going to want to share.
This easy appetizer recipe is featured in our Classic Cowboy Recipes free eCookbook. Get a sneak peek at all the recipes here:
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 packages (8-ounces) cream cheese softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (4-ounce) cans Ortega diced green chiles
- 1 cup sliced green onions, divided
- 1 jar Ortega salsa, homestyle recipe (mild)
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- tortilla chips, to dip
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Heavily grease bottom and side of 9-inch springform pan.
- Combine corn meal and chili powder; sprinkle over bottom and side of prepared pan.
- Beat cream cheese, eggs, garlic powder, and cumin in large mixer bowl until smooth; stir in chiles and 1/2 cup green onion. Pour half of batter into pan.
- Spoon 1 cup salsa over top of batter; sprinkle 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese over salsa. Spread remaining batter over top of cheese.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until edges are set but center still moves slightly.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack; remove side of springform pan. Spread remaining salsa over top; sprinkle with remaining cheese and green onion. Serve with tortilla chips.