1. Combine orange juice, marmalade and honey in heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Rinse turkey in and out; pat dry.
3. Combine salt, pepper, savory and sage in small bowl. Rub some inside bird. Mix remaining mixture with melted butter and brush over turkey.
4. Arrange the pears, onion and celery on bottom of roasting pan. Place turkey atop pears and vegetables. Tie legs together.
5. Roast turkey 45 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees F and roast 1 1/2 hours, basting occasionally with pan juice. Brush 1/3 of glaze over turkey.
6. Continue roasting until meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh registers 175F, basting occasionally with remaining glaze, about 45 minutes.
7. Transfer turkey to platter. Tent with foil while making gravy. Strain pan juices, reserving 1 cup pear and vegetable mixture.
8. Degrease juices, reserving 5 tablespoons fat. Pour pan juices into measuring cup and add enough broth to measure 3 3/4 cups. Heat reserved 5 tablespoons turkey fat in large saucepan over medium heat.
9. Add flour and cook until just beginning to color, stirring constantly. Add pan juices and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Cook until gravy is thick enough to coat back of spoon, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes.
10. Puree 1 cup reserved pear and vegetable mixture with gravy in processor. Return to saucepan. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
Herbed Sourdough, Smoked Ham and Celery Dressing:
1-pound loaf sourdough bread, bread cut into 1 inch pieces
4 ounces thick bacon slices, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/4 cup butter
1 large onion chopped
1/4 large celery bunch with leaves, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
2 garlic cloves minced
1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
1 teaspoon savory
1 teaspoon thyme
3/4 pound smoked ham steak, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 large pears, cored, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
2 1/4 cups broth
2 tablespoons dry Sherry
salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Butter 9" x 13" x 2" baking dish. Place bread on baking sheet. Bake until dry to touch and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cool and put in large bowl.
2. Cook bacon in cast iron skillet over medium high heat just until beginning to brown. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon drippings from skillet; reserve bacon in skillet.
3. Add butter and stir until melted. Add onion and celery and saute until almost tender.
4. Add garlic and herbs and saute about 3 minutes. Add ham and saute 1 minute. Remove from heat.
5. Mix in pears and parsley. Dump over bread cubes. Add broth and Sherry and toss. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to casserole. Cover with foil. Bake in a 350F oven for 1 hour.