Garlic Basil Tomato Pie
Here's a quick and easy recipe that brings fresh Italian flavors to a traditional savory American pie. Try it out on the whole family!
8 ounces can crescent rolls
4 teaspoons olive oil
cup fresh basil, chopped
3 teaspoons garlic, minced
8 ounces provolone cheese, thinly sliced
8 Italian plum tomatoes, thinly sliced & seeded
cup Parmesan or Romano cheese, grated
freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Lightly spray a 10" pie plate or tart pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Separate crescent roll dough into 4 rectangles. Place rectangles in spray-coated pan.
- Press evenly over bottom and up sides of pan; firmly press edges and perforations to seal. Prick dough with a fork.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine oil, basil, and garlic. Cook over low heat just until heated, stirring occasionally. Cover to keep warm.
- Arrange half of the provolone cheese slices over partially baked crust; top with half the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of Parmesan or Romano cheese.
- Repeat layers with remaining provolone cheese, tomatoes, and Parmesan cheese.
- Spoon basil mixture over pie; sprinkle with pepper.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is deep golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes.
- To serve, cut into wedges. Serve immediately.