Basic Focaccia Recipe
Focaccia is a savory and tasty treat perfect for any meal. This baked flat bread is full of natural goodness. Learn how to make a basic simple focaccia with this easy recipe.
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
cups warm water, 105-110 degrees F
4 cups all purpose flour, unbleached
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 teaspoons sea salt
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon yeast over 1/2 cup warm water in a large mixing bowl. Whisk it in and let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes. Stir in 3/4 cup flour. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let stand until bubbly and doubled in volume, about 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon yeast over 1 cup warm water. Let stand until foamy, about 5-10 minutes. With a wooden spoon, stir the yeast mixture and 3 tablespoon olive oil into the sponge and mix well.
- Stir in 1 cup of the flour and 2 teaspoon salt. Stir in enough remaining flour to produce a soft dough.
- Knead on a lightly floured board until soft and smooth, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place dough in a lighly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled overnight in the fridge.
- Divide dough in half and press into two lightly oiled 9" round cake pans. If dough shrinks from the sides, let rest a few minutes then stretch it again. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes or until dough is full of air bubbles.
- Just before baking, press your fingertips deep into the dough all over the surface to dimple the loaf. Drizzle with 2 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sea salt.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 20-25 minutes until top is golden. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.