Candy Cookies in a Jar
By: The Baker's Field Guide Christmas Cookies
This image courtesy of harvardcommonpress.com
If you're looking for great gift in a jar recipes for the holidays this simple Candy Cookies in a Jar is perfect. A yummy M&M treat, this is a great gift for bakers, anyone with kids or any sweets lover!
Yields: 1 jar or 30 cookies
cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
cup firmly packed light brown sugar
cup granulated sugar
cup Dutch-processed unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
cup finely chopped walnuts
cup semisweet chocolate chips
cup candy-coated chocolate candies (such as M&Ms)
Recipe in the Jar:
- Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together in a small bowl.
- Make sure jar is clean and completely dry. Pour flour mixture into jar and pack down firmly into an even layer using the bottom of a small ladle or rubber spatula. Pour brown sugar into jar and tap down firmly (tapping down the brown sugar will help pack the flour layer beneath it).
- Follow with an even layer of granulated sugar, then a layer of cocoa powder, again packing down as you go. Wipe down sides of jar after cocoa is added, as some of it might cling. Add layer of nuts, followed by a layer of chocolate chips, then the candies, and tap down those ingredients. Screw top into place.
- Make a hole in the corner of the notecard with hole-punch. Write the following directions on card, along with any sentiments you might have for the receiver:
Baking Directions for Candy Cookies in a Jar:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Melt 1 1⁄2 sticks unsalted butter on stove or in large bowl in microwave; allow to cool.
- Whisk in 1 large egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Add contents of jar and stir until well combined; you might need to use your hands.
- Drop by generously rounded tablespoon 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets and press to flatten.
- Bake until tops are cracked and dry; they will be soft on top and in the middle, about 12 minutes. Cookies will firm up upon cooling.
- Slide parchment onto racks to cool cookies completely. (Can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container up to 1 week.)
- Enjoy, and Happy Baking!
What else you might need:
- Note card
- 8-inch square of decorative fabric
- Rubber band
- 24 inches of 1⁄2-inch ribbon