Campfire S'mores Cupcakes
By: Betty Crocker - The Big Book of Cupcakes
Fun cupcake recipes like Campfire S'mores Cupcakes will have you wanting to spend the summer in front of the oven rather than the actual campfire. These aren't just kids cupcakes, have fun this camping season!
2 hr 50 min
2 cups all-purpose flour
teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
teaspoon baking powder
1 cup water, hot
cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla
20 individually wrapped red cinnamon hard candy disks (from 7-oz bag), unwrapped
20 individually wrapped yellow butterscotch hard candy disks (from 7-oz bag), unwrapped
60 pretzel sticks, broken in half
48 miniature marshmallows, toasted, if desired
7 ounces marshmallow creme
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
teaspoon lemon-yellow gel food color
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
- In medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder; set aside. In small bowl, mix hot water and cocoa until dissolved; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat shortening with electric mixer on medium speed 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1⁄4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping bowl occasionally. Beat 2 minutes longer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
On low speed, alternately add flour mixture, about 1⁄3 of mixture at a time, and cocoa mixture, about 1⁄2 at a time, beating just until blended.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each about 2⁄3 full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans; place on cooling racks to cool.
- Line 15 × 10 × 1-inch pan with foil; spray foil with cooking spray. Place unwrapped cinnamon and butterscotch candies in freezer plastic bag; with hammer or meat mallet, finely crush candies. Pour crushed candies into foil lined pan; spread in thin layer. Bake at 350°F 6 to 8 minutes or until completely melted. Cool completely before handling.
- Remove lid and foil seal from jar of marshmallow creme. Microwave uncovered on High 15 to 20 seconds to soften. In large bowl, beat marshmallow creme and butter with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until smooth. Tint frosting with yellow food color. Frost cupcakes.
- On each cupcake, arrange 5 pretzel pieces to look like logs of campfire. Break cooled sheets of melted candies into pointed shards. Insert candy pieces in tops of cupcakes around pretzels to look like flames.
- Place 2 marshmallows on one end of each toothpick. Insert other end of toothpick into each cupcake.
If using a Cake Mix:
Substitute 1 box devil’s food cake mix for the Chocolate Cupcakes. Make cake mix as directed on box for cupcakes. Continue as directed in recipe.
1 Cupcake: Calories 160; Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 2g; Trans Fat 1g); Cholesterol 20mg; Sodium 180mg; Total Carbohydrate 22g (Dietary Fiber 1g); Protein 2g Exchanges: 1â„2 Starch, 1 Other Carbohydrate, 1 1â„2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 1 1â„2
Bake ahead and freeze the unfrosted cupcakes for up to 3 months; then frost and decorate when needed. Frozen cupcakes are also easier to frost!