The Ultimate Kitchen Guide: How-Tos, Cooking Tips & Essential Kitchen Knowledge
How to Make An Easy Recipe for Old Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings
By: Sarah Kennedy, Editor, RecipeLion.com
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Learn how to make an easy recipe for old fashioned chicken and dumplings just like mom and grandma used to make. Just follow along with this fun tutorial and relish in the wonderful memories of childhood and cooking with grandma in the kitchen.
Many of us have distinct memories of time spent baking and cooking in the kitchen, with mom, with grams or even with an aunt. There are memories of cookies, pies and cakes and other wonderfully yummy treats. At my house one of those happy memories involves cooking a recipe for old fashioned chicken and dumplings with my grandmother.
Recently we decided to recreate our own old fashioned chicken and dumplings and found it was a lot easier than we thought. Even a cooking novice will find this easy chicken and dumplings recipe simple to make and delicious to eat.
Easy Old Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings
Table of Contents
The first thing you need to do is gather your ingredients. Here's what you'll need:
1 pound of chicken thighs, cut up or cut up whole chicken and remove one pound
• 2 medium stalks celery, chopped
• 1 medium carrot, sliced
• 1 small onion, sliced
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 3 cups water or enough to cover chicken
• 2 1/2 cups Original Bisquick mix
• 2/3 cup milk
Once your ingredients are ready to go the first thing is to locate the largest stock pot you have and dump all the veggies in. See an example below.
Next you'll want to add the chicken and cover with water (to a level where it just covers).
Add your spices and light stir. See here:
Cover and heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer about 1 1/2 hours or until chicken is cooked through.
(Do this step while chicken & veggies are boiling):
In a separate bowl stir the Bisquick mix and milk until soft dough forms.
Drop spoonfuls of dough mixture on top of the cooking chicken & veggies mixture.
Add enough to make a layer of dumplings along the top.
Don't worry if it looks like it's blending together, it will cook into little biscuit mounds.
Cook this uncovered about 10 minutes.
Then cover and cook another 10 minutes or until the Bisquick mixture has turned to what looks like cooked biscuits.
Remove from heat.
Now you are ready to serve! Keep in mind this is really hot, so it might be best to let it cool slightly before serving.
And that's about it! It's as easy as that to make a wonderful recipe for old fashioned chicken and dumplings.
To enjoy other easy chicken and dumplings recipes check out some of these fantastic recipes:
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Love these recipes? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- How to Boil Perfect Eggs
- 16 Crowd-Pleasing Easy Potluck Recipes
- How To Make a Chipotle-Style Burrito Bowl at Home
- Recipe Converter: How to Halve and Third a Recipe
- How to Make the Best Amish Pie, Plus 18 More Free Amish Recipes
- A Delicious Dozen Recipes: How to Serve Sauerkraut
- How to Make Sloppy Joes
- How To Use Up Lemons: 7 Luscious Lemon Recipes
- How to Identify Squash: Different Squash Types
- How to Whip Up the Fluffiest Omelet
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Comfify Collapsible Kitchen Colander Set Review
- Bruschetta & Goat Cheese Stuffed Mushroom Caps
- Make-Ahead Veggie Breakfast Quesadillas
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
- Lemon Pepper Avocado Hummus
- Copycat Jamba Juice Peach Pleasure Recipe
- Egg and Quinoa Breakfast Muffins
- Breakfast Stuffed Peppers
- No-Bake Nutella Mousse Cheesecakes
- Pork Chili Verde