Spiced Pumpkin Cake in Jars
My grandmother was always preserving one thing or another, and her pumpkin spice cake was a huge hit at the holidays. Once you make this gift jar recipe, you'll see why!
1 cup seedless raisins
1 cup walnuts
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cloves
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup salad oil
16 ounces canned pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- Sterilize 8 (12-ounce) Ball Quilted Crystal Canning Jars (14400-81400), lids and rings by boiling them for 10 minutes.
- Leave the lids and rings in the hot water until you're ready to use them; remove jars and allow the jars to air-dry and cool.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the inside of the cooled jars with shortening (DO NOT use Pam or Baker's Secret); set aside.
- Coarsely chop the raisins and walnuts; set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cloves, cinnamon and ginger in a large bowl.
- Add raisins and walnuts; toss to lightly combine.
- In another large bowl, beat eggs at high speed until thick and yellow (2-3 minutes).
- Gradually beat in the sugar until thick and light.
- At low speed, beat in the oil and pumpkin; blend well.
- Gradually stir in the flour mixture until well blended.
- Divide among the 8 canning jars (should be slightly less than half-full. Wipe the sides of the jar off (inside/ outside) in case you slop or it'll burn.
- Place jars onto a cookie sheet or they'll tip over.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a pick inserted into the center of each jar comes out clean.
- Have your lids and rings ready.
- Take one jar at a time from the oven; place a lid and ring on and screw down tightly.
- Use heavy-duty oven mitts, as the jars are HOT!
- Place the jars onto your counter top too cool. You'll know when they've sealed, you'll hear a "plinking sound."
For more great jar recipes and gift ideas, check out our Mason Jar Recipes eBook.
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Love these recipes? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!