King Ranch Chicken Casserole
By: 300 Best Casserole Recipes by Tiffany Collins 2010 Robert Rose Inc.
This image courtesy of 300 Best Casserole Recipes by Tiffany Collins ½© 2010 Robert Rose Inc.
Stick with classic comfort food for dinner; make a King Ranch Chicken Casserole. The trick to this dish is adding grilled chicken, which effortlessly adds flavor to easy casserole recipes.
2 pounds (1 kg) boneless skinless chicken thighs
2 tablespoons (30 mL) butter
1 onion, sliced
1 can (10-ounce) diced tomatoes and miled green chiles
1 can (10-ounce) condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 can (10-ounce) condensed cream of chicken soup
10 (6-inch) (15 cm) flour tortillas, torn into bite-size pieces
2 cups (500 mL) Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
cup (60 mL) Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat barbeque grill to medium-high, oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place chicken thighs on preheated barbecue and grill, turning once, for 5 to 7 minutes per side or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced. Let cool slightly, then cut into cubes.
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Sauté onion for 5 to 7 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in tomatoes and chiles, mushroom soup and chicken soup. Remove from heat.
- Spread half the tortilla pieces in bottom of greased 13-by-9-inch glass baking dish. Layer with half the onion mixture, half the chicken and half the Monterey Jack. Repeat layers. Sprinkle Cheddar cheese over top.
- Cover and bake in oven for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes or until bubbling.