The Ultimate Southwest Stuffed Pepper
This spicy take on stuffed peppers will have your family shouting yeehaw! The Ultimate Southwest Stuffed Pepper has Italian sausage and pepper jack cheese stuffed into a red bell pepper creating a great casserole recipe.
6 large red bell peppers
pound Italian sausage
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 Package Pepperidge Farm Corn Bread Stuffing
2 cups Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers, shredded
1 can (14.5-ounces) chicken broth
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- With sharp knife, slice tops off the 6 peppers, discard seeds and membranes.
- In 5-quart saucepan, place peppers in enough boiling salted water to cover Reduce heat to low. Cover, simmer 5 minutes.
- Drain peppers on paper towels. Empty water from saucepan.
- In 10-inch skillet over medium heat, brown sausage with garlic stirring to separate meat.
- In large bowl, combine sausage, stuffing, cheese and 3/4 cup of the broth. Toss to mix well.
- Fill peppers with stuffing mixture. In 5-quart saucepan, combine remaining broth and chopped red pepper. Arrange stuffed peppers in broth. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Cover, simmer 20 minutes or until peppers are tender and filling is hot.
- Remove stuffed peppers to serving platter, keep warm.
- In covered blender container, carefully blend red pepper-broth mixture until smooth. Serve with stuffed peppers.