Mexican Beef and Bean Casserole
Mexican beef and bean casserole combines beef and beans for a Mexican dish that is sure to be a hit at the dinner table. This Mexican casserole recipe makes for one delicious dish!
1 pound lean ground beef
2 onions, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 can refried beans, 16-ounce
cup olive oil
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, minced, or 2 tablespoons canned diced green chilies
1 tablespoon chili powder
teaspoons ground cumin
2 cups tomato sauce
1 can Italian peeled tomatoes, with their juice 14-ounce
1 dozen corn tortillas
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, 4-ounces
Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef, 1 chopped onion and 1 garlic clove over medium-high heat, stirring often to break up lumps of meat, until beef loses its pink color, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in refried beans; transfer mixture to a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat; add remaining onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add remaining garlic, jalapeno pepper, chili powder, and cumin; cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
- Stir in tomato sauce and tomatoes with juice; break up tomatoes in skillet with a spoon.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, partially covered, until sauce is slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Stir 1/2 cup sauce into Meat-bean mixture. One at a rime, dip 6 tortillas in simmering sauce until softened.
- Line bottom of a lightly oiled 9 x 13-inch baking dish with sauced tortillas.
- Spread meat-bean mixture evenly over tortillas.
- Repeat dipping procedure with remaining tortillas, arranging on top of meat-bean mixture.
- Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese over top, flake until casserole is bubbling and cheese melts, about 35 minutes. let stand 5 minutes before cutting into squares to serve.
- Garnish with parsley, if desired.