If you are not a mushroom lover, as so many people aren't, try this different spin on a perennial favorite - green bean casserole. Instead of cream of mushroom soup, this one uses cream of celery. Yum!
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
2. Combine water, beans and salt and bring to a quick boil.
3. Reduce heat and simmer until beans have thawed and are slightly crisp, about 4 minutes.
4. Drain beans.
5. In a 2-quart casserole dish, layer the beans and chestnuts.
6. In a medium sized bowl, mix the milk and soup; add the pepper.
7. Pour the milk mixture over the beans and water chestnuts.
8. Bake at 350F degrees for 25 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and top with the onion rings.
10. Bake an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the onion rings are golden brown.