Balkan Stuffed Green Peppers
Gather cheap and simple ingredients today to make some Balkan Stuffed Green Peppers for dinner! Your family will fall in love with this Balkan recipe for stuffed peppers.
8 green peppers
1 pound lean minced hamburger beef
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups tomato juice
4 tablespoons vinegar or wine
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon powdered or 1/4 cup liquid chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the tops off green peppers and remove the seeds.
- Mix a poundof lean minced beef with a heaping 1/4 cup of rice. Add a garlic, onion, salt and pepper and blend well.
- Pack this mixture into each pepper to fill 2/3's and replace the tops. Fit upright in a large saucepan.
- To cover you will need about 2 cups of tomato juice to which add vinegar (wine preferred) along with sugar. A little chicken stock (about 1 tbsp powdered) would be nice if you have it. Add enough water to this to just cover the peppers if you are short.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about an hour until the peppers are tender and about 2/3's of the liquid is absorbed.
- You can substitute brown sugar or honey for the sweetener.
- Add garlic to the juice if you're a fanatic.
- You can also puree a can of tomatoes and add tomato juice to bring you up to quantity if you like a stronger tomato note. Adjust the rice to meat mixture to if you like.
- Serve either hot and cold as a first course or main course.